Sunday, January 20, 2013

Cruelty-free beauty- Part III!

Hi all!

I am SO SORRY that this post is coming an entire week late :/ after this post I'll be resuming the 30 Day Self-Esteem Challenge, just picking up where I left off. This will make it more than 30 Days, but whatever.

Classes have been going well. I already have a lot of work piling up :/ but so far at least it's been interesting. We got some snow on campus Thursday night! Sadly not enough to cancel Friday's classes :(

Anyway! I thought I'd finally review some of the awesome cruelty-free products I acquired over the break and since! Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to take individual photos, and my new shampoo doesn't get a photo at all :/

1: 24/7 Glide-on Pencil in DEMOLITION [v]. 2: Skyscraper Multi-Benefit Mascara in SKYSCRAPER. 3: Naked Beauty Balm (Sample). 4: Eyeshadow Primer Potion 5: 24/7 Glide-on Pencil in MILDEW (Sample) [v]. 6:  Supercurl Curling Mascara (Sample). 7: Grind House eyeliner sharpener
[v] = vegan
So, what can I say except that I LOVE Urban Decay?! This is my first purchase since learning they were purchased by L'Oreal, but I wasn't disappointed. The eyeliner is simply to die for - it can last through my hour-upon-hour, face-smashed-into-pillow after class naps, so I'd say it's pretty durable. The name is not deceptive, it does indeed glide on very smoothly. The mascara also leaves no complaints - my lashes look great and don't take an hour! I haven't had MUCH use of the free samples (which, by the way, you get a sample of SOMETHING every time you order - just another plus!) outside of the beauty balm considering I already bought mascara and why on EARTH would I use mildew-colored eyeliner?! I LOVE the balm, but don't really have $34 to drop on it :/ To be honest, I threw the sharpener in my order rather than dropping into CVS and getting a cheap one because I was a few dollars shy of the free shipping limit :P but I enjoy it quite a bit! I don't usually wear enough eyeshadow to need a primer, but it DOES work very well when I have special occasions.

I've also been using their Surreal Skin Creamy Concealer in DREAM [v], which may or may not be on sale at the moment (hint hint), for my under-eye circles that will inevitably appear when one has 8am classes, their Lip Junkie Lipgloss in Midnight Cowboy [v], and their Midnight Cowboy eyeshadow palette (not currently on sale). Love love LOVE all of it, and I do recommend it. A lot of it's vegan, but it's all cruelty-free. But it doesn't stop there!

1: e.l.f Tinted Moisturizer in NUDE [v], 2: Mineral Blemish Powder in TRANSLUCENT (with brush included) [v]. 3: Glitter nail polish in FAIRY DUST
So first of all, e.l.f is THE go-to brand for really affordable, cruelty-free/vegan makeup. They're truly fantastic. The moisturizer has, for me, who enjoys simplicity, replaced liquid foundation and consolidated 2 steps into one. Not that I'm saying that's right for everyone, but for me it works. Loveeee it. The mineral blemish powder and brush make up what's called the Mineral Blemish Kit, and it's arguably my favorite recent makeup purchase. It's better for zits than caking on liquid makeup because it's a light, breathable powder, and it's treated with willow bark and tea tree to try and heal breakouts WHILE covering. It's also translucent, so it works on ANY skin tone. The nail polish looked BEAUTIFUL online, but wasn't really what I expected upon receiving it. It's a nice glitter that I think will look nice on top of black once my nails grow back, but by itself it isn't my favorite. :/

On top of a makeup overhaul, I also picked up Renpure Originals Luxurious argan oil shampoo and conditioner [v], and am planning on switching to the Shick Intuition razor. Schick is owned by a company that tests, but I have it on good authority that they themselves do not. :)

I will now begin discussion of feminine hygiene products - if you're uncomfortable reading about it for WHATEVER reason, feel free to skip it. It's the end of the post, so you're NOT missing anything! Don't say I didn't warn you!

****************************************

Over the break I made the decision to switch from using pads/tampons during that time to using what's called a menstrual cup. It's a reusable silicone cup that you insert that catches products of menstruation. Once it's full you simply dump it, wash it, and reinsert it. It looks a little something like this:



It's much more absorbent than pads and tampons, so you can wear it longer. Because there's no rayon present, wearing it longer won't give you toxic shock. Most importantly (to me, maybe not to anyone else), the only packaging or waste is the original packaging it comes in. This makes it MUCH more eco-friendly than pads OR tampons. It IS sanitary if you keep it clean and wash it regularly, though of course misuse and improper care can make that not the case. There are many brands, all of which I'm sure are fine, but I bought one called the Diva Cup (shown above). It's available on a variety of websites, including CVS and Walgreens and Target, but the cheapest one I found was at Wild Earth Market, a really awesome website dedicated to natural cures and remedies.

Generally I like it a lot. I initially had a hard time inserting/removing it, but once I got used to it it was fine. I had ONE leaking incident, but it was due to improper insertion. After that, no problems whatsoever. I'd definitely recommend it!

I hope you guys have an awesome week!
<3,Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment