Friday, December 7, 2012

New Year's already?!

Hi all!

In response to the title: not exactly. I've just been idly thinking about some things that I'd like to have as New Year's resolutions. After all, we're going to be lucky to be alive after the apocalypse, so why not do it big?! (Kidding.)

Before I do that, clothes and self-obsession:

Please forgive my messy mirror. Any my messy room. And my messy life.
Top: Forever 21
Jeans: American Eagle
Scarf: Plato's Closet
Shoes: vegan TOMS

Because it matched, I borrowed Maurissa's red peacoat to go out in. It's from Target (Merona).
I usually despise the color red, but what works, works.

Closeup of sweatshirt. "Paris is for Lovers!" How cute is that?!
Please don't ask me why I didn't just take off the scarf. Sigh. Hindsight is 20/20.
Anywho, just like with my reading challenges (one of which only half-worked :/ ), I feel like I'll feel more pressure to actually stick to my resolutions if you all know about them! Here are some I've dreamed up:

1) FORGIVE. LET THINGS GO. Probably my biggest personality flaw is that when I feel really, truly wronged, I have a tendency to hold a grudge. These grudges can last years. Don't get me wrong, generally I'm very forgive-and-forget, but sometimes people cross a line and I have a really hard time moving on. I need to learn to stop burdening myself with anger. (I actually have a tattoo plan for this, but I'll save the details for if/when it comes about.)

2) Counseling. I've been thinking about it for a while. It's been almost a year since life imploded on me, but I'm having a really tough time healing. My relationship with several members of my family are injured or outright broken, and it's caused a lot of stress and pain. I think counseling will help me get rid of some of the anger and hurt, at least enough to talk it out with my family. 

3) Read classic novels!

4) Hobbies. Ever since college, I've had a hard time finding and staying committed to things I enjoy. I'm leaning towards yoga and getting back into horseback riding. 

5) Study "A Course in Miracles" (description linked). I've had it sitting on a bookshelf since over summer, so I'd like to finally get into it.

6) Take proper care of myself. This includes yoga, as I mentioned above, starting to exercise (maybe), eating right. Also mentally (see #2) and spiritually; I'd like to actually start meditating or taking some kind of quiet reflection period every day. I'm a really anxious and wound-up person naturally, so I feel like only good things can come from that. (I'm asking for a cute mini Zen garden for Christmas, lol!)

7) Learn time management. My goal spring semester is NO ALL-NIGHTERS.

8)All A's (we'll see). 

Also, though it's too tentative to get a number, I'm thinking about phasing out eggs. Chickens are treated so horribly in factory farms, and they go through hell to produce eggs regardless. I don't eat them very often as it is, so it's not a HUGE issue, just something that's been on my mind.

Have any of you thought about your resolutions? Or do you, like many, find the whole thing to be dumb? :P

<3, Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment