Monday, June 17, 2013

A little gem from my reading.

I just started Eating Animals this morning, and I'm already in love/hate with it. Love because it's informative and educational, hate because our species infuriates me. I wanted to share with you guys a little thought prompt, found on page 26:

"If we were to one day encounter a form of life more powerful and intelligent than our own, and it regarded us as we regard fish, what would be our argument against being eaten?"

I love this quote because it provokes thought. If our justification for eating animals is that we're stronger and smarter, is it okay for us to be food for something stronger and smarter than us? Why or why not?


I found this image on facebook (source unknown) and thought it was perfect, and tragically accurate. Fortunately, books like Foer's not only bombards the reader with knowledge (a lot of it, and much of which you could have gone your whole life without knowing), it makes you think critically about your choices and values. Foer is an author, not a journalist, and also a father and a consumer, and as he evaluates his place in this multi-faceted issue that is factory farming, I guarantee you will too.

Look out later for a clothes post!
Alie



No comments:

Post a Comment