Monday, August 20, 2012

Quick Post About Akin Comments

Things like this are why I made this blog in the first place.

Today, a Republican named Todd Akin made some remarks about abortion in a rape scenario. He claimed that because women's bodies can shut down during "legitimate" rape, it's not an excuse for abortion. Needless to say, I have a few issues with these comments.

Now, in my intro post, I confessed to having liberal tendencies. And I do, to my core. But, and this is a shock to some, I am also pro-life. Very much so. In my opinion it is not (as some claim) a contradiction with my beliefs, as I see liberalism as being about compassion and equality for ALL. I do not exclude the unborn from the "all". That being said, Akin embarrasses and angers me as a fellow pro-lifer.

Anyway, as a woman, his use of the word "legitimate" is downright frightening. What constitutes "legitimate" rape? The truth is that rape takes many forms, and all of them are equally legitimate, equally awful, and equally serious.

He is somewhat correct in that biological processes can freeze during a traumatic event, but the key word is CAN. There is no reason whatsoever to assume that that deals with the problem of pregnancy through rape and treat it with a "good enough for me" attitude.

My point is this: if Akin and other Republicans want to stop abortions by rape victims, the answer is NOT to tell women "Well, you must not have REALLY been raped if you got pregnant." That's saying that there's something wrong with HER, which is absolutely not okay. Here's a hint: stop shaming women who get raped and making them scared to come forward and seek care and emergency contraception (which prevents abortion). Don't limit the availability of such care, either. If you don't want to see abortions happen (like I don't), don't make them necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment