Saturday, August 25, 2012

A week of creativity.

Hi everyone!

First of all, I'd just like to say, I GOT 100 PAGE VIEWS WITH MINIMAL SELF-PROMOTION! I've seriously only told one or two close friends about this blog, and now my views are in triple digits! Maybe that means I'm not too terrible at this after all!

Anyway, sorry about not posting very much this week (and by "not very much," I fully admit that I mean not at all). It's been crazy trying to get everything ready to move back to CNU. There was my last shifts at my job, packing, etc. However, it wasn't all bad, as it was also a week of making some pretty awesome stuff.

For starters, there was the completion of a project I've been working on for a while (sewing is hard!).

My nerdy (adorably so) boyfriend got me absolutely addicted to Robert Jordan's Wheel of Time series last semester. Seriously, I cannot put them down. There's too much awesome in the books to fully describe, but I highly recommend looking into them. Anyhoo, my obsessive personality got the best of me, and I decided that I wanted to make a costume from the series.

Without need for much deliberation, I decided that I wanted to be an Aes Sedai, the powerful characters in the series who are capable of wielding WoT's version of magic. I decided on the Yellow Ajah, the one dedicated to Healing, and the Ajah of my favorite character, Nynaeve (although I'm not supposed to know that yet).

To be an Aes Sedai, one needs a shawl fringed in the color of her Ajah and a Great Serpent ring. I'm asking for this ring for my birthday, and I'll be talking about making my shawl in this post.

So, for starters, sewing is a completely foreign discipline to me. Thankfully, I had this post from a great sewing blog called Sew Skate Read as a guide and my mother's expertise in this area to help along the way. I'll take you through the journey in pictures:


 Pinning on the Flame of Tar Valon (Aes Sedai symbol) before attaching it.
^
 After sewing and ironing. At this point I was still waiting for my fringe to arrive in the mail*, so this was as far as I could go.

 ^ Sewing on fringe by hand was rather tedious. 


 VOILA!!! 
You may now call me Alexandra, Aes Sedai of the Yellow Ajah!
Or Ali Sedai for short. :)

* - Though the Sew Skate Read post I mentioned earlier warned me about how hard fringe was to find, I didn't listen and wasted countless trips to various fabric and craft stores trying to find some. In the end, I ended up getting mine from the same source she did - Crazy Crow Trading Post

And that's not all! Wednesday of this week, my very close friend and the best roommate ever, Maurissa, and I had a Pinterest craft day. It was so fun!


Yes, I painted a perfectly good mirror. No, it did not turn out perfect. But it was fun, and I still like it :)

 And here's the ever-lovely Maurissa. Her mirror turned out much better than mine, and to her right is a cookie sheet-turned-makeup holder.

At the end of the day, we went and got our nails done. I figured, why not keep the Pinterest theme going?!

Well, that's it for my week of creativity! Just so you know, all the links go to my Pinterest. Please check it out sometime! Sorry if this was kind of a long post, but I felt the need to make up for leaving you guys for a whole week.

Move-in was supposed to be today, but campus had some flooding from an all-night monsoon of a rainstorm (you'd think I went to school in Seattle for all the rain we get here!), so I'm holding out until tomorrow. I'll be sure to update you guys either tomorrow or the next day about my classes and share photos of my room!

'Til then,
<3, Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment