Sunday, September 2, 2012

My first week!

Hi all! And happy September!

So ends the first week of classes, and I'm gearing up for another one. I miss highschool, when nothing really happened for the first few days. Already I've had two assigned readings for my English class, two short writing assignments for one of my religions classes, and I've had a quiz in my Bio class. -_- I've also had my start-of-semester scare session with the Pre-Med Scholars program, reminding me of the countless hours of research, service and shadowing that are ahead of me if I ever want to THINK about applying to vet school.

Just a side note, there are now 18 days until my 19th birthday! (Yes, I'm acutely aware of how young I am for my grade.)

This post I'll share some photos of my room with you guys! It's not perfect yet, but I don't want to wait too long to share. I figured I'd share while it was still relevant.

Anyway, just to get it out of the way, here's my room at CNU:
The front door to our suite. Inside is a sitting room and access to a shared bathroom and two bedrooms.
Inspiration for dry-erase board beside the door.
Front door to just our bedroom. The "Come Party" is sarcastic; neither of us are what you'd consider party animals.
My half of the room! :D My wall is so bare because I  had less wall space last year; we were tripled and I had top bunk. Note the dreamcatcher.
Where the magic happens. And by "magic" I mean paper-writing, pointless facebook browsing, and of course this blog!

There's the quick tour :) It isn't much, but it's my home. And, believe it or not, it's where I'd be year-round if presented the option.

Though I'm afraid I sounded whiny in the intro for this post, I actually love my classes. I'm taking a biology class that's divided into half botany and half zoology, where we learn about different physiological concepts in plants and animals such as reproductive systems, digestive systems, etc. Needless to say I'm very excited for the zoology part. I'm also talking organic chemistry, which I'm really excited for despite it's reputation for being really difficult. Organic carbon-based molecules are the basis for all living things; it's hard to NOT be awed by the concept. Or maybe I'm just a nerd. :)

Second-year English classes at CNU are themed based on the interests and expertise of the professors. I was lucky enough to find a slot in a class that focuses on satire and humor as a means of social commentary. We'll read things like Gulliver's Travels, and watch Colbert clips and analyze The Onion. It should be really fun!

My religions classes are by far the ones I'm most excited for. One of them, Religions of the East, is a comparative class where we'll learn the beliefs and traditions of religions like Buddhism, Hinduism, Baha'i, Sikhism, and others (Religions of the West is another class that goes over Christianity, Judaism, Islam, etc. that I'm taking next semester). Seems pretty simple, but the professor, Dr. Schweig, is brilliant and hilarious and I think he'll make it an exciting adventure. Although I have mad love for Buddhism anyways, so it's not like I wouldn't take the class even if it WAS boring.

The other class is what I think will be my favorite this semester; it's called Religion and Ecology. The course concerns itself with questions like "What is mankind's place relative to other species on Earth?" or "Do we have a responsibility to protect and coexist with the others?" explored through various religious outlooks. AKA, questions that I ask myself on an almost daily basis, that form the framework for what I base my worldview on. I. Can. Not. Wait.

I'm sorry that this post was so short. I've been trying to sit down and write about my spiritual path and Pantheism like I said I would in my intro post, but there's so much to think about. I honestly haven't had to sit down and delineate everything I actually believe in one sitting. I have an outline going, so don't worry - I won't leave you guys hanging.

Thanks for reading!
<3, Ali

No comments:

Post a Comment