Tuesday, November 6, 2012

ELECTION DAY.

Hello lovelies!

It's. Finally. Here. It's election day! The hateful ads on T.V. and on the internet can cease! The uncertainty is almost over!

My first "I Voted!" sticker! I stuck in on my planner, so I can have it to gaze upon for the rest of the semester :P
Because I'm a worrier, I'm of course a nervous wreck, and I will be until the president is chosen. But the nerves are also partly from excitement, since this is my first time voting. I feel awesome, and really excited.

I tend to shy away from being too loud and proud about politics, but since it's the big day I'll indulge a little. :)

As you know, I voted for Barack Obama. He cares that I can continue to pay for college, that I don't have to pay more than a man for health insurance, that I can GET health insurance to begin with, he supports the civil rights of the LGBT community, and he ended the war in Iraq. Not to mention, he ordered the operation that resulted in Osama bin Laden's death (personally, I think he should have been tried as a war criminal rather than simply killed).  That doesn't sound like a failure to me. I look forward to an America where he (or any other president) doesn't have to deal with a legislative body that is hellbent on obstructionism for selfish purposes.

So, that's all the ranting I'll do for this election. :P

Pat yourselves on the back for voting. Or for just surviving this election year!
Last night's FOCUUS (UU campus ministry) discussion group was FABULOUS. I really enjoyed meeting everyone, and felt right at home jumping into the conversation (which is abnormal for me, since I'm usually such a wallflower). I definitely look forward to next week, and might even join them for Sunday services at the local congregation. I've been avoiding it since I didn't know anyone who went, so I'm pretty stoked.

In bio lab this morning we had to do dissections. We had to dissect a clam, a squid, a perch, a frog, and a sheep's heart to observe the differences in the circulatory systems. Honestly, I was more bothered than I thought I'd be by it all. It just seems like such a waste of lives, just so they can be cut open posthumously, looked at, poked at, and thrown away. It's causing a bit of a spiritual crisis, and I'm going to have to reflect and see if I'm going down an appropriate path. If I truly can't justify even this to myself, do I really belong in my major/field? More to come.

The rest of today will be pretty routine, I have two more classes and then a presentation. But, and this is awesome, Zach Wahls is coming tonight! He's the author of My Two Moms, a book about growing up as the son of lesbian mothers, and how his childhood was just as full of love and nurturing as a child raised by heterosexual parents. He also talks about the struggles his family encountered in society, and how the lack of respect that some people have for their relationship has been an obstacle. I meant to read it over summer, but alas I worked too much to really commit to a book (besides Wheel of Time). 


You might also know him from his speech before the Iowa House of Representatives, where he argues for marriage equality:


He's truly inspiring to me, and I look forward to seeing him tonight! Another great speaker at CNU!

That'll be it for today, folks. Like I said in my last post, regardless of HOW you vote, it's IMPERATIVE that you go out and do so. Be thankful that you have the right, and fulfill your responsibility!

No comments:

Post a Comment